Friday, April 21, 2017

Daily Yopp! 4.21.17 Resistance is the New Normal

A while back I wrote about how all crazy stuff Trump and his administration is doing feels like the huge game of Whac-A-Mole. Every day something pops up that needs attention, and it's exhausting.

Here's a little bit of positive news. As most of you know, groups are springing up all around the country. I'm affiliated with a half dozen or so, including Indivisible, Sister District, Justice Scouts, Swing Left, and my main group - Solidarity Sundays. And then of course there is the Daily Yopp!

Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to join a group of fantastic women who met with California Senator Dianne Feinstein. I'm still digesting that meeting, but one thing that really jumped out at me is a term she used - the RESISTANCE COMMUNITY. As I said, I'm still working out my thoughts on the meeting, but that term keeps coming back to me. More on that in a bit.

Anyway...so in looking for Yopps! in this Whac-A-Mole world, I came across the Action Alliance website. They define themselves as, "a loosely federated group of organizations that, in the wake of the 2016 election, are sharing daily or weekly calls to action." I bookmarked it a while back and just came back to it today.

HOLY SMOKES!! There are a LOT of groups listed on this first page, and these are just the folks doing calls to action. As much as we are dealing with Trump's Whac-A-Mole politics, the Resistance Community has emerged and is responding in a similar fashion. And we have two things going for us. Our numbers are larger and we are on the right side of history. That's what happens when you up against the ruffians. Resistance has become the new normal.

So take a look at the Action Alliance website and click on some of the links on their front page. I've listed the groups below, but these aren't live links.

*************


Today's Call To Action:

The Affordable Care Act is under attack again. One thing that helps your MoC is personal stories about how an issue affects you. Each of us has a different situation related to health care, but I'm confident that all of us agree that people need access to health care and that health care costs should not bankrupt people.

Please take some time today to write a letter to one or more of your MoCs and let them know how health care affects you and your family. In my case, I'm going to talk about the obscenely high premiums I have to pay to cover my healthy family. I get that health care is complicated, but 25% of my paycheck (no joke) is too much...dontcha think?

So...write a letter (or three) with your health care story. I'm told by Feinstein's aides that these are very helpful.


Yours in Solidarity.




No comments:

Post a Comment