Friday, February 24, 2017

Daily Yopp! 2.24.17 - How to Best Leverage Your Activist Hour

Yesterday, I was part of a group that met with three of Senator Dianne Feinstein's aides for about an hour and a half to discuss some of the key issues facing our nation at the time and ways that those of us on the ground can best use our time and resources to have an impact.

In response to one of my Yopps!, a friend of mind used the term "my activist hour" which I take to mean the time she sets aside each day to engage in calling, emailing, writing, or whatever that day's Whac-a-Mole politics brings up. I usually spend about 30 minutes every morning and another 30-90 minutes each night engaged in my own Activist Hour stuff. But how can each of us maximize the impact that our time will have?

Here are some ideas/insights I got from the meeting with Feinstein's staff.

For those of you with a supportive MoC:
1. Find out how their office prefers to tally constituent concerns and use that whenever possible. For example, both Senator Feinstein and Representative Barbara Lee (my representative in the House) prefer email. They both indicated that emails to their offices are ranked at the same level as phone calls or letters. Bear in mind that you won't get a response (or at least it will take awhile), but that doesn't mean your email is being ignored. They watch those tallies very carefully. 
2. If you have a personal story that is relevant to a particular issue facing Congress, write a letter and mail it or hand deliver it to the congressperson's office. In our meeting, we passed on a stack of about two hundred letters written by students from my school. The aides were very excited and referred to that pile multiple times. I suggest a hand written or printed letter over email because this gives your MoC something physical that they can use as a prop. 
3. If you have a problem with a federal agency that needs intervention, contact your MoCs for assistance. This not only might bring you the help you need, but will give them valuable data showing that our federal agencies aren't working. For example, perhaps you have major water/flood damage from the recent storms. Is FEMA there to help you out? 
4. When your MoC does something good, let people know via social media. Just like the negative impression we want to develop around the non-supportive MoCs, we also need to build up image of the other side.

For those of you whose MoC is not supportive:

1. Call their offices and babble on. Basically waste their staff's time listening to your nonsense.  
2. Demand that your MoC hold a town hall and hound them when they don't meet with the public. Attend public events if you are able. 
3. Follow them in the news (Google Alerts is a great tool for this) and complain about their mistakes on social media. 
4. Send them your personal stories as well, but make a copy and send it to friendly MoCs so they know what your representative is ignoring.

The above ideas are mostly my impressions/analysis of what I heard at the meeting. Feinstein's aides only recommended the first four ideas. They had no comments about how to deal with non-supportive MoCs. You might find that your MoC is more open to some of your progressive ideas than you assumed. In order to survive the next four years, we're going to need some of the Senators and Representatives to break party lines. If your MoC is someone like John McCain, you might consider appealing to his patriotism and sense of duty to the country.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Yours in solidarity!

2 comments:

  1. Kris
    So great that you got real 'face time' with Feinstein's aides and that you could hand deliver a stack of letters. Your example causes me to think that it might be good for a number of us to cluster into small groups and request meetings with both our congressional and state representatives to share talking points on a handful of specific issues. Increasingly I am including state representatives in my correspondence since California as a whole is attempting be a model of resistance.

    Seems to be very important to keep writing and calling. My representative is one of the most conservative in the House. I communicate with him at least three times a week and I mix it up: emails, postcards, phone calls. I mostly make the communications short and sweet by identifying specific legislation and giving one sentence why I support/oppose. When I send longer letters on specific issues I give personal and factual information and request a response, which I generally get in about three weeks. When he does something I support I send a thank you. He will probably never 'flip' on the important issues, but at least he knows I am paying attention to details.

    Thanks again for letting us see a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! State and even local representatives need our focus. For example, while we fussed about the DeVos appointment, education is primarily a state issue. There are also a lot of protections that state/local agencies can provide. Both my city and the school district I work for have established themselves as sanctuaries/safe havens for immigrants.

    ReplyDelete