Thursday, March 30, 2017

Daily Yopp! 3.30.17 Demand Presidential Accountability

Have I mentioned how much I love my representative?

I am blessed to be represented in the House by the Honorable Barbara Lee. She first gained national attention back in 2001 when she was the lone holdout in voting against giving the President blanket authorization to use military force without congressional approval following the 9/11 attacks. After that the slogan, "Barbara Lee speaks for me," turned up on bumper stickers and buttons and Congresswoman Lee has handily won every reelection.

Fast forward to 11/9 and Barbara Lee is still speaking for me. I call or email her office a few times a week about this or that issue, but I just do it to add to the tallies of constituent support for whatever she was already doing. I recently got a reply to an email I sent with my concerns about Trump's financial conflicts of interest and ties to Russia. Here's what I got back:

As a longtime advocate for responsible leadership within our government, I share your concerns regarding the financial interest of the President and Vice President of the United States. 
You may be pleased to know that I am a proud cosponsor of H.R. 371, the Presidential Accountability Act, which would extend the current conflict of interest provisions to ensure that Presidents and Vice Presidents’ financial interest do not conflict with the needs of the American people. I am also a proud co-sponsor of H.Res. 111, which would begin the investigation into President Trump’s financial conflicts and ties to Russia. I also recently sent a letter to House Ways and Means Committee Republicans urging them to use their authority to request the tax returns of President Trump for review by Congress. 
Rest assured, as a proud member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, I will continue to support legislation that protects our democracy.
In appreciation for her constant vigilance in preserving and protecting our nation from all enemies foreign and domestic, let's amplify the support for H.R. 371 and H.Res 111. Today's Yopp! is to call your MoCs and express your support for these bills.
For those who like scripts, here ya go:
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES: I am a constituent of ____________ and I am calling to express my support for H.R. 371, the Presidential Accountability Act, and H.Res. 111. I also ask that Congress do everything in its power to demand that President Trump release his tax records so that Congress can review them for conflict of interest.
SENATE: I am a constituent of ____________ and I am calling to express my support for Senate Bill 65, the Presidential Accountability Act. I also ask that Congress do everything in its power to demand that President Trump release his tax records so that Congress can review them for conflict of interest.
For those that like to go into these calls more informed, here's some links with background on these two bills:
H.R. 371 (Clark Dem-MA5)  and S. 65 (Warren Dem MA) - The Presidential Accountability Act Bill that will require the President and Vice President to reveal and divest themselves of any potential financial conflicts of interest.
H. Res. 111 (Nadler Dem-NY10) Resolution demanding that Attorney General Jeff Sessions transmit documents pertaining to Trump's financial practices so the House can inspect them.

Thanks for all you do, Barbara Lee! You still speak for me!
Yours in Solidarity!



No comments:

Post a Comment