Thursday, January 19, 2017

Daily Yopp! 1.19.17 - Boycott the Inauguration!

Today's Yopp! may fall into the land of petty for some of you. If so, then I suggest you call your MoCs (Members of Congress) and reiterate your support of the Affordable Care Act (aka "Obamacare").

For those who feel that Trump's ascendance to our nation's most revered office is illegitimate, then please take today to make a final call to your MoCs to request that they do not attend. It's a symbolic stand, but it is also a litmus test for which of them are truly willing to stand up for what the people want and who are merely business-as-usual politicians.

Here's the script:

If you get a live person:
I am calling to see whether Senator/Representative ___________________ will be attending tomorrow's Inauguration ceremonies.
If the answer is YES, say:
I'm sorry to hear that. Please let the Senator/Representative know that I disagree with that decision and would like him/her to stand up for what is right and not participate in this event.
If the answer is NO, say:
That is great to hear! Please let the Senator/Representative know that I appreciate his/her decision to stand up for what is right. What will she/he be doing instead?
If the staffer says that they aren't sure, say:
I'm sorry to hear that. Would you please take my name and number and let me know when the Senator/Representative has announced a decision?
They won't call you back, of course, but it's always good to ask.

If you have to resort to voicemail or email, use this script:
I am calling/writing to ask that Senator/Representative _______________ stand up for what's right and NOT participate in the inauguration of an illegitimately elected president. I understand that some want to see a "peaceful transfer of power." While bloodless, this coup has been anything but peaceful, and to participate in the ceremony as a member of the audience is tantamount to endorsement. I will be looking for the Senator/Representative's name on the list of those who are boycotting.
Enjoy the last day of the Obama era!

Yours in solidarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment